The United States Congress first authorized the Glen Canyon Dam in 1956 (National Park Service , 1998), and by June of 1960, the first concrete structures were placed in the canyon, beginning the construction of the dam. By 1963, the dam was complete and its reservoir, Lake Powell, began filling. The location chosen for Glen Canyon Dam was ideal given the narrow canyon and absence of any nearby faults. In addition, the Wahweap Creek bed provided the hard rock aggregate necessary for the concrete to build the dam. This setting provided for cheaper construction of this dam than others in the past. Including construction of the dam, power plant, facility roads, a bridge, and dam facilities, the total cost of the Glen Canyon Dam was about $272 million. This money was loaned to the Bureau of Reclamation by the United States Treasury, and is being repaid, at interest, through electricity sales (Desert USA , 1998).