Discussion of Exam
- You will be allowed to use one 8.5" x 11" note sheet during the exam.
- The exam will consist of two parts, one with Maple and one without Maple
Coordinates in a subspace of R^n
Linearity of Coordinates
The matrix of a linear transformation
Standard matrix versus B-matrix
- Consider two n x n matrices A and B. We say that A is similar to B if there exists an invertible matrix S such that AS = SB, or B = S^(-1)AS.
Similarity is an equivalence relation
- An n x n matrix A is similar to itself (reflexitivity).
- If A is similar to B, then B is similar to A (symmetry).
- If A is similar to B and B is similar to C, then A is similar to C (transitivity).
- Section 3.4 - 4, 6, 10, 18, 23, 60
Good luck with your preparation for Exam 1.