The 4-H Motto... To make the best better
The origin of the 4-H organization can be traced to the early part of this century. Many groups were started throughout the country to help young students learn more about agriculture through nature. Educators thought that kids would learn many valuable things about themselves and their surroundings by participating in agricultural contests and activities. These organizations spread beyond the schools and became the community organizations they are now.
The name "4-H Club" was first used officially in 1918 in a federal document. The idea for the 4-H emblem was created by O.H. Benson in 1907-08. O.B. Martin thought that the four H's should stand for head, heart, hands and health.The current 4-H design with the four clover leafs and the four H's was adopted by the organization in 1911, and it was patented in 1924. The wording of the 4-H pledge was thought of by Otis Hall who was a state leader of Kansas. In 1927 it was decided that it should be the official 4-H pledge for all of the groups across the nation.
4-H offices in Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Photo: Margana Dane
The 4-H pledge