Where Does Our Food Come From?
Do you know where your food comes from? These are pictures of foods that you see everyday, but have you ever thought about how many different ingredients are in a piece of pizza and where those ingredients come from? What is the importance of asking yourself these questions?
Think about what you had for breakfast or lunch today. Write a short essay on the importance of your food source and your buying choices. Some questions to consider:
- What role does food play in your life? Why do you eat?
- Your meal is made up of many different products. What do you think the raw ingredients were?
- What type of farm do you think the ingredients came from?
- How far did your food travel- were there any stops along the way?
- How did the raw ingredients become the food on your plate?
- How do you decide what foods you eat? Does it matter where your food comes from and how it was made?
Now consider what your life would be like if all of the farms vanished one day. What would happen to your food supply? How would you eat your next meal? Many of us simply go to the stores, buy food products, and never think twice about how our food was produced and who produces it.
In the assignment above, most of you probably named some type of dairy, meat, or grain product as part of your everyday meals. These products were produced on many different types of farms. How much did you know about your food in the assignment? Were there any questions you could not answer? In this website you can learn more about where your food comes from and how it became the final product. Just click on the milk, cereal, or meat icon and get ready for a food adventure!