Genesis 11: 1-9
1. Everyone on earth had the same language and the same words.
2. And as they migrated from the east, they came upon a valley in the land of Shinar and settled there.
3. They said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks and burn them hard." --Brick served them as stone, and bitumen served them as mortar. --
4. And they said, "Come, let us build a city, and a tower with its top in the sky, to make a name for ourselves; else we shall be scattered all over the world."
5. Then the Lord came down to look at the city and tower that man had built,
6. and the Lord said, "If, as one people with language for all, this isi how they have begun to act, then nothing that they may propose to do will be out of their reach.
7. Let us, then, go down and confound their speech there, so that they shall not understand one another's speech."
8. Thus the Lord scattered them from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city.
9. That is why it was called "Babel", because the Lord confounded the speech of the whole earth; and from there the Lord scattered them over the face of the earth.