The Camp Chase Confederate Cemetery

Photo courtesy of Sean Clements

Sullivant Avenue, Camp Chase,

Columbus, OH

  • Memorializes the cemetery's 2,260 Confederate dead
  • The memorial, A Confederate Private Soldier stands atop a granite arch which spans a boulder bearing the inscription, "2,260 Confederate Soldiers of the War 1861-1865 Buried in this Enclosure"
  • May, 1861, Camp Chase opens as a Union military training ground under the name Camp Jackson
  • July, 1861, Camp Chase admits its first Confederate prisoners. July 5, 1865 final prisoners released
  • 1895, Camp Chase holds first memorial services under guidance of William Knauss
  • 1902, Memorial erected

MORE on the Camp Chase Confederate Cemetary



Selected Bibliography

Home to The Public Monument in North America